"
Newspaper Archive of
Golden Valley News
Beach, North Dakota
Lyft
May 24, 2012     Golden Valley News
PAGE 2     (2 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 2     (2 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
May 24, 2012
 

Newspaper Archive of Golden Valley News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2022. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Page 2 Golden Valley News May 24, 2012 From left, Jan Swenson, BCA executive director; Lois Heinrichs and Corinne Lee, members of BCA, take a break while picking up litter along the loop road in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. (Courtesy Photo) Group helps clean park's road THEODORE ROOSEVELT NATIONAL PARK - The Badlands Conservation Alliance met at the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park to celebrate Earth Day, on April 22. A group of nearly 20 BCA mem- bers and friends began their day with litter clean-up along the busiest section of the park loop road. The National Park Service provided transportation and supplies for the event, as well as staff support. At noon everyone gathered for a pic- nic. After lunch, volunteers were able to hike, bird watch, visit together, and enjoy the park. Later in the afternoon, the group watched Theodore Roosevelt National Park's premiere of their new film "Refuge of The American Spirit." It is hoped that an event like this can become an Earth Day tradition. Founded in 1999, Badlands Conservation Alliance is a voice for wild North Dakota places. The group tries to educate its" members and the public on current public lands issues in western North Dakota. New members are wel- come. Please visit the BCA web site badhmdsconservationalliance.org. Old Red Old Ten Scenic Byway kickoff The Old Red Old Ten Scenic Byway Committee will be unveil- ing the new marketing projects starting with the Old Red Trail Rummage Sale on Saturday, June 2rid from 7 am - 5 pm local time. The communities of Mandan, Almont/Sims, New Salem, Glen Ullin, Hebron, Richardton, Taylor, GladStone and Dickinson have worked together with the assistance of the Bismarck/Mandan Development Association, Morton County and Stark County to develop new mar- keting products. New photo stock, historical church brochure. Old Red Old Ten Scenic Byway rack card, confi- dence trail signs, web site, and audio Talking Trails will enhance the visitor experience as they travel off the interstate between Mandan and Dickinson. The audio Talking Trail signs are placed at sites within the com- munities with a central phone and extension number to call with information regarding the specific location, such as a historical inci- dent or community history. Each audio recording is approximately 60 - 90 seconds in length. The new web site, www.oldredoldten.com is interac- tive with information on events. history, news, things to do, lodg- ing and dining, and includes the audio links to the Talking Trails through the communities. Saturday, June 2nd is the kick off with the annual Scenic Saturdays and the first ever Old Red Trail Rummage Sale from Mandan to Dickinson. Startingl 7 am and continuing through 5 pm local time. communities are lining up events, food. and entertain- ment to go along with the 100 miles of Old Red Trail Rummage Sales. State urges caution during tick season BISMARCK The North Dakota Department of Health encourages residents to take meas- ures to avoid tick bites and the potential for serious tick-borne dis- eases while enjoying outdoor activ- ities this summer "Tick-borne diseases such as tularemia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease can be pre- vented by taking some basic pre- cautions to avoid tick bites," said Alicia Lepp, epidemiologist with the Department of Health's Division of Disease Control. "Areas that are heavily wooded or have tall grass or brush are more likely to be infested with ticks, especially between April and September. with the highest risk of disease transmission occun'ing dur- ing the warmer months." The Department of Health offers the following tips to help reduce the chance of ticks making contact with your skin: Wear light-colored clothing to make the ticks easier to see. Wear long pants, and tuck the legs into your socks or boots Keep your shirt tucked in. Apply insect repellent that contains DEET to your clothes and exposed skin. Always follow label directions (Repellents that contain permethrin should be used only on clothing.) "One of the best ways to prevent tick bites is to avoid habitats where ticks can be found," Lepp said. "However, if these tick-infested areas cannot be avoided, it's impor- tant to remove and wash all cloth- ing as soon as possible and check carefully for ticks. Use tweezers to remove any ticks that have attached to your body" According to Lepp, the best way to remove a tick is to use tweezers to grasp it as closely to the skin as possible and gently pull upward with a steady, even pressure until it is free. Avoid crushing the tick dur- ing removal. Make sure to wash your hands and the site of tick attachment with soap and water after removal. In the last five years, six cases of tularemia, four cases of Rocky Mountain spotted fever and 97 cases of Lyme disease were report- ed in North Dakota. Human Lyme disease cases have been increasing since 2005 with an average of five to 15 cases reported each year; however, in the past two years there have been a total of 59 cases report- ed. The most common tick in North Dakota is the dog tick. which is associated with the transmission of Rocky Mountain spotted fever and tularemia. The deer tick, which can carry Lyme disease, has been iden- tified in areas in the northeastern region of North Dakota through surveillance activities by the North Dakota Department of Health, the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota in the spring and summer of 2010. Finding the deer tick in the state is a significant dis- covery because there could be areas in the state at risk for Lyme disease transmission. Symptoms of tularemia usually begin with a painless ulcer at the site of the tick bite and may include swollen glands. If the bacteria enter the bloodstream, more severe infec- tions, including pneumonia, can occur. Rocky Mountain spotted fever is characterized by a sudden onset of fever, a general feeling of illness, deep muscle pain, severe headaches, chills and irritated eyes. A rash begins on about the third day Missouri River Royalty Corporation (IqRRC) is paying $ TOP DOLLAR $ to lease minerals in the BAKKEN. MRRC also pays top dollar for mineral  I   rights, existing production, and top leas- ., ing minerals. We specialize in the Bakken Formation and are headquartered in North Dakota. Please call today to compare competitor's lease terms. Have the Section, Township, and Range ready for appraisal. 701-226-6128 or skopseng@unitedenergycorp.cor of illness, usually appearing first on the hands and feet and then spread- ing to the rest of the body. Symptoms of Lyme disease occur three to 32 days after infec- tion. The first symptom is often a red rash near the tick bite, which develops in about 60 percent of patients. Other early symptoms include fatigue, fever, headache, stiff neck, sore muscles, swollen glands and painful joints. Without treatment, these symptoms may last several weeks or more. Arthritis. neurological or cardiac problems may develop weeks to months after the initial infection if the initial infection is not treated with antibi- otics. People who have symptoms that may be associated with a tick-relat- ed illness should seek medical care. For more information on tick- borne diseases and tick bite preven- tion, contact Alicia Lepp, North Dakota Department of Health. at 701-328-2378 or visit www.ndhealth.gov/disease/tickborne Golden Valley News P O Box 156, Beach, ND 58621 (U.S.P.S. Pub. No. 221-280) Staff: Richard Volesky, editor/ reporter, and Jane Cook, office and news assis- tant. The Golden Valley News is published each Thursday, 22 Central Ave., Suite 1, Beach, ND 58621 by Nordmark Publishing. Periodicals postage paid at Beach, ND and addi- tional mailing offices. POSTMASTER: Send address changes to: Golden Valley News, P.O. Box 156, Beach, ND 58621. Please allow two to three weeks for new subscriptions, renewal of expired subscrip- tions and for address changes. Contact Information Phone: 701-872-3755 Fax: 701-872-3756 Email: gvnews@midstate.net Subscriptions: 1 year: $34 Golden Valley County 1 year: $38 elsewhere in North Dakota 1 year: $42 out-of-state and snowbirds 9 months: $25 In-state college rate The Golden Valley News is a proud member of the North Dakota Newspaper Association. ; All content is copyrighted. I I BISMARCK MARBLE & GRANITE 2-113 mi. E. of Bismarck on Hwy. 10 P.O. Box 2421 Bismarck, ND 58502-2421 CALL 701-223-4440 HIGHEST QUALITY MONUMENTS Tablet: 36"x6"x20" Base: 48"x12"x6" s995 Larry Stedman Cancer Benefit May 25, 2012 i Beach Community Center - 153 East Main 5:30-7:00 p.m. - Free-will Pancake & Sausage Supper Live Auction following Supper & drawing for Raffle I with over $4,500 in cash & merchandise prizes!!! 41 - Contact Carol Weyer at 701-872-3839 to donate items or -, baked goods for the Auction 8-11 p.m. - Dance to Alkali Flats Adult Refreshments Available - A % of proceeds from bar will be donated to the benefit! Sponsored by Cenex-Farmers Union; Golden Val- ley Manor; American Legion Post #5 and American Legion Auxiliary Unit #5 I BEACH St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Rev. Russ Kovash Mass: Saturday 4:00 p.m. Sunday 10:30 a.m. Golden Valley Manor Chapel Pastor Ron Hudson of Calvary Chapel Sundays - 6:30, Communion, first Stm- day in each month St. Paul's Lutheran Church, LCMS Rev. Scott Hojnacki Sunday Worship - l 0:15 a.m. Sunday School - 11 :l 5 a.m. First Lutheran Church - ELCA Pastor J.T. Bark Sunday School - 8:10 a.ln. Sunday Worship - 9:30 a.m. Beach Evangelical Church Visiting Pastors Sunday School: 9:30 a.m. Sunday Worship - 10:45 a.m. United Community. Church Pastor Warren Maxted Sunday Worship - 9 a.m. BELFIELD   Belfield Baptist Church St. Peter's Lutheran - LCM,_.%./, i.0 Rev. Robert Hlibichuk Rev. Scott Hojnacki :: : " : : : Sunday Worship: 9 am. Worship Service Sunday - 8 a m  %= Sunday Bible Study 10 a m St. Bernard's Catholic Chur ;!io Belfield Church of God Rev Shannon G LuchtG' ; 781 MfllssaAve. Saturday Mass: 4 p' 2  Pas(rold & Marge Sundgren Confessions: 3:15-3:4. !  "hursday, 7 p.m. Sunday Mass: 8:30 a. ! ! i FAIRFIELD Confessions: 7:45-8:15 a. :: :t. D@etrius Ukrainian Catholic St. John's Ukrainian lic  "- Church Church ' : : Tarns Miles Re,'. Taras.  Sun 8 a.m. on Divine Liturgy: _.Jt6n fir third  fourth and-ndays, ;: ,1 115  third 10 a.m. ond and fourtun-  and fifth q ;:":" N } . q ': days -   GOLVA Belfield=utheran - EL St.;[Vlarv's torch Revogeerle i ; i Sunday Scol (t"1 tg): I,   + Sunda'hi[: 1. } . Daglu m'u:' r .ELCA Revo  a.m. .m., Wed. 00bcated ,00iie'00 sout00ea00 .]'fffld '": :::,i Church Sunday Worship- 11:45 a.m. 6h': :,i.:" i[ une, July and August only frst and third Sunday ofeach, ............. S.uxlxy worship - 10:30 a.m. St. Mary's Catholic Church No Masses during wimer months SENTINEL BUTTE Trinity Lutheran Church Pastor J.T. Burk Sunday Worship - 8 a.m. SO UTH HEAR T St. Mary's Catholic Church Rev. Shannon G. Lucht Confessions before Mass Saturday Mass: 4:00 p.m. TROTTERS Trotters Church I st and 3rd Sunday of each month W/BA UX United Methodist Church Pastor Ruth McKenzie Sunday Worship: 9 a.m. Calvary Temple, Assembly of God Pastor Andy Lam Sunday Worship - 10:30 a.m. Sunday School - 9:30 am. Trinity Lutheran Church - ELCA Pastor J.T. Burk Sunday Worship - 11 : 15 a.m, Christian Fundamental Church Pastor Jeremy Stradley Sunday School - 9:45 a.m. .......................................... Sunday Worship - 11 a.m. JAMES J. WOSEPKA, P.C. Buckboard Inn Silvernale-Silha Funeral Homes Licensed In North Dakota and Montana Beach ND 701-872-4794. 221 N. Meade Ave. 204 South Wibaux St. 53 1st Avenue S.E. 41 CentralAve South _,- Glendive, MT 59330 Wibaux, MT 59353 Beach, N.D. 58621 P.O Box 9/0 406-377-2622 or 406-796-2421 or 701-872-3232 or " " 1-800-368-2690 1-800-892-6424 Beach North Dakota 58621 , , , 701-872-4321 www.siwernae-silhamneralhome.com 't11 tlcaaoat. Farmers Union Oil Co. 701-872-4471 Interstate Cenex 701-872-3590 00,nr sniff I Hot Stuff Pizza : 701-872-3190 Area 7-day Forecas May 24-3 Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday T-storms Few Showers T-storms T-storms Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 58/42 60/46 66/52 70/55 67/51 62/48 64/50 Precip Chance: 40% Precip Chance: 30% Precip Chance: 30% Precip Chance: 40% Precip Chance: 10% Precip Chance: 10% Precip Chance: 10% 9 What causes thunder? --e